Friday, July 6, 2012

Lesson 1 Blog

Lesson 1 Blog:
What a great start to Education in Technology! I feel like I have learned so much as a new student in the MAT program.  I don't have previous teaching experience in the school system, however I will file this information as a future reference to use in the classroom.  This week I learned about what technology in the classroom involved and various types of technology.  I've learning more about blogging through the new blog I created.  The Technological Literacy worksheet provided information to me about what I needed to learn and explore about technology in the classroom.  As a parent, communication with my daugher's teacher is so important.  It was comforting to see that several forms of technology offer communication opportunities for students, parents, and colleagues.  As a new teacher, building a classroom page on the school's website would be important.  I learned more about what that may involve through the American History class website I reviewed for the Technology Exploration Assignment 3.  I have visited several school/class websites personally, however this site was extensive in its information and resources for students and also parents.  The You Tube Video, "A Vison for Today's Students" was enlightening, but not surprising.  It's so easy to see how students get overwhelmed with information.  Not only the information they receive in the classroom, but the information they take in through media, television, and the use of personal devices such as smart phones and the Internet.  The students in the video were not being engaged.  The class they were in was large and it seemed they were lost in the crowd.  Students were texting and playing on their laptops.  As an aspiring teacher and former student I will be reminded of those realities that come with the classroom.  It will remind me that students must be involved in the subject matter, not necessarily entertained.  As a professional in the dietetics field entering a new field, it was helpful to review the standards and indicators.  I made a copy of those to have for future reference.  I wrote about the fifth indicator since professional growth is a standard I've had to continue with my dietitian licensure.  That will be requirements I will continue as a dietitian even after I become an educator to keep my credentials up-to-date for practice.  If I were to be lucky enough to obtain a job through the Alternative Certification Route, I could put several of the technology sources I've learned about this week into practice.  Reading about podcasts was interesting.  That would be an item I would like to offer.  A comprehensive classroom page on the school's website would be an source I would offer.  I would also look at the online workspaces available throught the PBworks information provided in
the Technology Exploration 1 assignment.  Dependent upon the class, the Tumblebooks is a good source to pass along.  The educational videos available through the site would be beneficial.  I would use networking with other educators as a source of implementing these ideas into my classroom.  The challenges I will face hopefully will resolve in time.  I expect those as a new educator and will lean on my colleagues and students for advice and input.  I would plan to introduce the types of technology gradually especially if students haven't been introduced to them in previous classrooms.  It's exciting to see what technology can do in today's classroom.  I appreciate all the resources and those to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment